Pre Arrival

Arrival & Temporary Lodging

While residing in temporary lodging in Busan, you will likely have to front-load some initial out of pocket expenses. The per diem rate for Busan for the fiscal year 2017 is $381 - $233 for lodging and $148 for meals and incidental expenses. Remember, you are not allowed to use your Government Travel Charge Card for travel associated with PCS.

You will receive Temporary Lodging Allowance (TLA) to cover those expenses, but it may take up to two months for you to receive that allowance. By spending your first few days in Chinhae, you will keep your lodging cost down as well. In either scenario, be prepared to incur debt for costs associated with arrival to Busan while finding a home. But don't worry, you will be reimbursed later through TLA.

Sailors stationed in Busan acquire housing through the Commander, Fleet Activities Chinhae (CFAC) Family Housing Service Center located on CFAC.

Service members will use the CFAC Family Housing Service Center. CFAC housing personnel can assist in preventing delays due to the language barrier and prevent complications such as financial dispute or eviction. All housing units must be inspected and certified by a CFAC Housing Representative as adequate and the lease must be processed by the CFAC Family Housing Service Center.

The CFAC Family Housing Service Center helps service members find a rental in Busan that meets all the requirements as outlined in USFK Reg 210-51, USFK/CNIC Housing Referral Service Program. Safety(Property) inspections will be performed and a fair market price will be determined and agreed upon by the owners.

Busan has an abundance of modern apartments. However, there are still some differences from the U.S. standard such as size, electric voltage, no garage, etc. There are ample apartments all over Busan, well within the Overseas Housing Allowance limits, in popular areas including Haeundae, Kyungsung, Gwangali and Centum City.

All service members stationed in Busan will need to use the Household Goods Transportation office on USAG Daegu for inbound and outbound household goods shipping and receiving once housing has been secured. The office is located in Building T-1845 on Camp Henry in USAG Daegu at DSN: 315-768- 6794 (Inbound) and 315-768-6791 (Outbound). Please call to set up an appointment to discuss arrangements needed.


CFAC Family Housing Service Center

Once you are in the Republic of Korea, you will need to contact or stop by the CFAC Family Housing Service Center in Chinhae to be briefed on the Housing Referral Service program.

A CFAC representative will help you schedule appointments to look at apartments in Busan with a local realtor. Once you have found a home that you want, the CFAC Family Housing Service Center will inspect the property and negotiate the rental contact with the property landlord.

The CFAC Family Housing Service Center will assist the service member in completing the necessary paperwork and documentation. You will need:

- Service member's PCS orders

- Housing Application Form (DD Form 1746)

- Sex Offender Policy Acknowledgement and

- Disclosure Form (CNIC 11103/1)

- Command Sponsorship for dependents


Civilian only:

- TCS Order (DD Form 1614)

- Transportation Agreement (DD Form 1617)


The CFAC Family Housing Service Center offers the following services for those moving to Busan:

- Maintains an open referral system via realtors or landlord that ensures customers receive up-to-date information on nondiscriminatory rental properties.

- Reviews and processes a landlord's rental contract with the service member before signing.

- Processes the paperwork for a lease contract, Lease Agreement form and the Overseas Housing Allowance.

- Provides interpretation services in dealing with landlords.

- Provides rental agreements in English and Korean.

- Performs property and safety inspections.

- Performs conflict resolution.


Paying Rent

Service members pay the monthly rent in the local currency, the Korean won, to the realtor or landlord and should ask for a receipt for each transaction. Service members may also pay via wire transfer if they have or acquire a Korean bank account.

All high-rise apartments and villas (five-story) require service members to pay 'management fees,' which are the member's responsibility. These expenses normally appear on your monthly bill as Basic Maintenance Fees (Cleaning of common areas, use of elevators, access area lighting, security, and parking expenses) and Utilities (Electricity, water and sewer). Gas is located on another bill.

Basic Maintenance Fees vary according to the size of your chosen apartment. These varying charges must be paid with the 'Utilities Allowance.'


Internet/Cable tv(TV)/Satellite tv(TV)

In the Republic of Korea, internet and television are packaged together and provided by your landlord unless otherwise stated in your lease. A cable box comes with your apartment and is usually accompanied by a TV. If you require a modem/router, you must speak with your landlord/realtor as they are required to provide one upon request. You also have the option of bringing or purchasing a high-speed modem/router of your own. Typical streaming programs (i.e. Netflix or Hulu) may not work properly or have the same access to content as in the U.S.


Loaner Furnishing Program

Eligible service members are authorized available loaner furnishings for 90 days while waiting for their Household Goods. The CFAC Family Housing Service Center will process and schedule your furnishing request once your lease has been finalized. For more information, please contact the CFAC Family Housing Service Center at DSN: 315-762-5291 for accompanied and DSN: 315-762-5336 for unaccompanied.


What to Bring

Please visit for detailed information on military moving.

The Republic of Korea uses 220v power outlets (vs. 110v power in the US). U.S. military installations use standard U.S. 110v power outlets.

You will have four types of shipments for your PCS:

- Hand Carried and Flight Checked Baggage.

- Unaccompanied Baggage

- Household Goods Shipment


CONUS Storage (Items normally kept in back yards, i.e. grill/patio furniture, and garage items, i.e. tool chests/ladders, are good candidates for CONUS storage)


As always, keep all your important documents and records with you as hand carried baggage. Due to increased airport security, please check with your airline or visit or for more information on what is allowed in carry-on luggage.

For your checked baggage, remember to check your orders and confirm with your airline about the number of bags and the weight limit. Some suggested essentials are current seasonal clothes, comfortable shoes, personal entertainment, favorite snacks, and any car/ booster seats that you will need.

Your unaccompanied baggage or express shipment may be the only shipment you receive while you live in a hotel or temporary housing until your permanent housing is settled. Even if you move into your permanent housing right away, your household goods may not arrive for a few months. Consider sending the following items as unaccompanied baggage:

- Kitchen & eating necessities, including plates, utensils, pots and pans

- Towels (bath and kitchen)

- Bed linens including blankets and pillows

- Children's items, particularly their favorite games and toys

- Baby crib, changing table, jogger stroller

- Computer equipment

- Small hand tools (hammer, screwdriver)

- Lightweight decorations